Honours and Fellowships Awarded to Prof. Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela
- Carnegie Resident Scholars Fellowship, University of the Witwatersrand, 2011.
- Social Change Award. Awarded by Rhodes University for “contribution made by leading psychologists to social change in South Africa,” September 2010.
- Awarded the Eleanor Roosevelt Medal, 2007 [click here to view acceptance speech].
- Honoured among “100 People who made a difference” in Permanent Exhibit of Hall of Heroes in the National Underground Railroad Freedom Centre in Cincinnati, 2005.
- The Alan Paton Book Award for her book A Human Being Died That Night: A Story of Forgiveness 2004.
- The Christopher Award in the United States for A Human Being Died That Night, 2003.
- A Human Being Died That Night nominated for Best Book of the Year by the National Book Critics Circle, 2004.
- Honorary Doctor of Law awarded by Holy Cross College, May 2002.
- Awarded the Dr Jean Mayer Global Citizenship Award by Education for Public Inquiry and International Citizenship (EPIIC), Tufts University, March, 2001.
- Peace Fellowship, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Research, Harvard University, 1998-1999.
Pumla Accepting the Eleanor Roosevelt Medal